4 large sweet potatoes, pierced with the tines of a fork
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted margarine, softened
2 tablespoons pareve whipping cream
1/2 cup applesauce, preferably homemade
2 teaspoons grated fresh peeled ginger
1 teaspoon coarse salt
Freshly ground pepper
2 apples (1 pound), peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces
3 tablespoons sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake until tender, 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand until cool enough to handle.
2. Cut each potato lengthwise. Scoop flesh into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment; discard skins. Add 2 tablespoons margarine and the pareve cream; mix on medium speed until smooth. Mix in applesauce and ginger; season with salt and pepper.
3. Transfer potato mixture to an ovenproof dish. Bake until heated through, about 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, toss apples with sugar in a bowl. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons margarine in a large skillet over medium heat. Add apple mixture; cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are golden and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
5. Remove potato mixture from oven; top with caramelized apples, and serve.