1 cup blanched almonds
1 ¼ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
¾ cups sugar
2 whole eggs (lightly beaten)
2 tablespoons water (or lemon juice)
3 oz. chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla or lemon extract
1 egg white
1. Preheat oven to 375° , toast almonds 5-7 minutes, grind 1/3 of the almonds, and chop the remaining almonds.
2. Add flour, baking powder, and salt to the bowl. Add nuts and stir.
3. Make well in center, add sugar, eggs, and water into well. With fork, stir together. Add vanilla. Stir until it forms a dough, knead 2-3 minutes, and add chocolate.
4. Divide dough into 2 pieces. Roll in 2 logs, ½ inch thick. Top with egg white. Bake 20 minutes.
5. Reset oven to 275°. Cut into diagonal slices. Return to cookie sheets, bake for 30 minutes. Flip cookies half way through baking.