A reader-submitted noodle pie recipe; you can check out their site and their phone app here:
What you need (for a medium sized pan)
2 sheets of prepared puff pastry
For the filling:
10-1/2 ounces (300 grams) thin egg noodles
1-3/4 ounces (50 grams) butter, melted for coating the noodles
4 eggs, separated
1 pound 2 ounces (½ kilo) pressed cottage cheese
5-1/2 ounces (150 grams) powdered sugar
1-3/4 ounces (50 grams) butter
3-1/2 ounces (100 grams) raisins
1 3/4 cups (400 ml) sour cream
Contents of one vanilla bean
½ cup breadcrumbs
For topping: powdered sugar
What you do
1. Cook the noodles until soft. Rinse them, drain and coat in butter. Set aside.
2. Prepare the filling: whip the egg whites. Strain the cheese.
3. Mix butter, egg yolks, vanilla bean and powdered sugar into a light batter. Add the cheese, sour cream, raisins, and lemon zest. Stir well.
4. Add the cooked noodles to the batter – and finally, fold in the whipped egg whites.
5. Assemble the cake: grease the pan with butter. Line the pan with a sheet of puff pastry, grease well with melted butter and sprinkle on the breadcrumbs.
6. Pour on the filling. Cover with the remaining sheet of pastry. Generously brush with butter. Bake in a 350F (180 degree) preheated oven until golden. After it has cooled a bit, cover with powdered sugar and slice.
Various fruits, like cherries, plums and apricots can be added to the filling. The sweet filling can be substituted with a savory one: stir together 1 pound 2 ounces (½ kilo) pressed cottage cheese, 2 egg yolks, 1 3/4 cups (400 ml) sour cream, chopped onion, a crushed garlic clove, a bit of finely chopped dill, chives and parsley and salt. Fold in the 2 whipped egg whites and place on the sheet of puff pastry in the pan.
Enjoyed this noodle pie recipe? Try another of our yummy Shavuot recipes.